Underwater Electromagnetic Signature Services
Davis can be contracted to predict the underwater electric and electromagnetic signatures which result from the current flow from the cathodic protection anodes to the propeller shaft of a surface vessel or submarine.
Studies are useful for:
• Understanding the susceptibility of a vessel to influence mines.
• Understanding the spatial characteristics of the underwater signature for ship identification by underwater ranging equipment
• Evaluating various cathodic protection anode configurations for their impact on underwater signature
• Quantifying the benefit of Active Shaft Grounding (ASG)
The studies take into account the following geometric and environmental factors.
• Locations of active or passive protective anodes across the hull of the vessel.
• Degradation of anodic protection systems due to passive grounding deterioration and coating holidays.
• Varying salinity from seawater to brackish to freshwater environments.
• Varying seabed conductivity.
• Varying mine sensor locations and varying vessel depth from surface to periscope depth to fully submerged.